How to Make Windows XP Startup Faster

ADMINISTRATOR
Učlanjen(a)
Poruka
Steps

670px-Make-Windows-XP-Startup-Faster-Step-1-Version-3.jpg

Click on Start, then Run, and type "msconfig". Wait for a new window to pop up.

Ad

670px-Make-Windows-XP-Startup-Faster-Step-2-Version-3.jpg

2Edit step

Look under the "BOOT.INI" tab. You will see a box labeled "Timeout:", and a numerical value. By default, it's 30, which means 30 seconds of wait time before boot. This can be changed, make it 4 seconds. (Note: if you have more than one operating system, this means the wait time to startup to the highlighted Operating System is longer. Sometimes you might want a bit more than 4 seconds, then you can opt 5 or 10 seconds)

670px-Make-Windows-XP-Startup-Faster-Step-3-Version-3.jpg

Delete The Temporary Files Periodically From Your Computer To Make The Applications Run Faster. Type %temp% in the run dialog box by clicking on Start -> Run, and click on "OK". You will see an open folder with many files. Click on the Edit menu and click on Select all and then click on the File menu and select Delete. Note: Always confirm that the folder which is opened has the word "temp" on the top of the menu bar and the folder indicates that it is a temporary folder.

670px-Make-Windows-XP-Startup-Faster-Step-4-Version-3.jpg

4Edit step

Perform a Scandisk To See That Your Computer Hard Drive is in Healthy Condition and it helps Your Computer Run Faster

670px-Make-Windows-XP-Startup-Faster-Step-5-Version-3.jpg

5Edit step

Always Perform a Disk Defragmentation at least once a month. Start the disk defragmentation from the System Tools menu available in the Accessories menu from the Start menu. It takes a longer time and it is advised not to run any applications in the computer including the screen savers, while running disk defragmentation.

ADMINISTRATOR
Učlanjen(a)
Poruka
Method 1 of 2: Hibernation

670px-Make-Windows-XP-Startup-Faster-Step-6-Version-3.jpg

After doing all this, another method you can do is to allow the computer to hibernate. Hibernation closes and opens Windows faster than usual. However, Hibernation is a good long-term recommended solution, as it does save electricity.

670px-Make-Windows-XP-Startup-Faster-Step-7-Version-3.jpg

7Edit step

Go to Start->Control Panel->Power Options. Click on the Hibernate tab.

670px-Make-Windows-XP-Startup-Faster-Step-8-Version-3.jpg

8Edit step

Click on the box that says "Enable hibernation" to check it.

670px-Make-Windows-XP-Startup-Faster-Step-9-Version-3.jpg

9Edit step

Click on the Advanced tab and change the Power buttons options if you want to hibernate by pressing the sleep button or the power button. Otherwise, holding the Shift key while in the Turn Off Computer menu will give you the option to hibernate.

670px-Make-Windows-XP-Startup-Faster-Step-10-Version-3.jpg

10Edit step

Restart your computer every week or so to clean your computer.

670px-Make-Windows-XP-Startup-Faster-Step-11-Version-2.jpg

11Edit step

The power can then be completely turned off, even at the socket so that no power is wasted.

ADMINISTRATOR
Učlanjen(a)
Poruka
Method 2 of 2: Prefetch

670px-Make-Windows-XP-Startup-Faster-Step-12-Version-3.jpg

12Edit step

Simply browse to the Windows folder (Ex: C:\Windows) and under there you would see the prefetch folder. Go into the prefetch folder and delete all the files (Beware! It should look like this c:\windows\prefetch). We need to edit a registry key to tweak it. Open regedit and browse to this key:

670px-Make-Windows-XP-Startup-Faster-Step-13-Version-3.jpg

13Edit step

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters

670px-Make-Windows-XP-Startup-Faster-Step-14-Version-3.jpg

14Edit step

Under this key you should see a value named: EnablePrefetcher

670px-Make-Windows-XP-Startup-Faster-Step-15-Version-3.jpg

15Edit step

It has 4 possible values:

670px-Make-Windows-XP-Startup-Faster-Step-16-Version-3.jpg

16Edit step

- Disabled : The prefetch system is turned off.

670px-Make-Windows-XP-Startup-Faster-Step-17-Version-3.jpg

17Edit step

- Application : The prefetch only caches applications.

670px-Make-Windows-XP-Startup-Faster-Step-18-Version-3.jpg

18Edit step

- Boot : The prefetch only caches system boot files.

670px-Make-Windows-XP-Startup-Faster-Step-19-Version-3.jpg

19Edit step

- All : The prefetch caches boot, and application files.

670px-Make-Windows-XP-Startup-Faster-Step-20-Version-3.jpg

20Edit step

You need to not disable it entirely. This would actually make boot time longer. This is because this feature is also used to speed up the loading of boot files. That is why you should pick the number 2 option. It allows you to keep the advantage of caching system files, without continually clogging the system up with applications.

670px-Make-Windows-XP-Startup-Faster-Step-21-Version-3.jpg

21Edit step

Set the value to 2 and reboot.

670px-Make-Windows-XP-Startup-Faster-Step-22-Version-3.jpg

22Edit step

The 2nd time you boot it should boot much faster. Remember that, the side effect is that launching individual applications once Windows has loaded will now be slightly slower.

Član
Učlanjen(a)
Poruka
Eh, đe si ranije sa tim? Godinama sam se odupirao prelasku sa XP na neki novi Windows i nedavno sam ipak zbog raznih stvari ubacio Win 7. :(

ADMINISTRATOR
Učlanjen(a)
Poruka
Eh, đe si ranije sa tim? Godinama sam se odupirao prelasku sa XP na neki novi Windows i nedavno sam ipak zbog raznih stvari ubacio Win 7. :(

XP je XP....ne menjam ga..:)..veoma je lak za rad ....:D
Internet download manager se takodje pokazao kao jedan od mogucih programa koji usporavaju boot windowsa....cak i kada se deinstalira ostavlja tragove kao da je i dalje prisutan......meni je napravio da boot traje preko 2-3 minuta sto smatram da je mnogo.....posle raznih podesavanja i proveravanja svih servisa i start-up programa...pokazao se da je bar kod mene on krivac......moja je preporuka da taj program ne instalirati ......:cool:
Ako se i desi da stavite zadnju verziju ovog programa kao sto sam ja uradila i javi vam se ovakav problem.....ne pokusavajte da ga skinete obicnom deinstalacijom....jedini nacin je system restore na neki predhodni datum i to je to:p

Natrag