The Development of Phrasal Verbs in British English from 1650 to 1990

Član
Učlanjen(a)
Poruka
sr81QbE.png

The Development of Phrasal Verbs in British English from 1650 to 1990: A corpus-based study-This dissertation tackles some of these and other questions concerning the nature of phrasal verbs. The purpose of the thesis is manifold. On the one hand, I intend to delimit the concept of phrasal verb as conceived of in PDE. One of the topics often discussed in relation to this category is precisely where to establish the limit to distinguish phrasal verbs from other different though related categories. On the other hand, I aim at filling a gap in literature of phrasal verbs by carrying out a corpus analysis of the development of these structures in the most recent history of English, more precisely between 1650 and 1990. After comparing the recent history of phrasal verbs with their status in earlier stages of the language as described in the literature, the third aim of the present dissertation is to establish a relationship between these structures and the processes of grammaticalization, lexicalization and idiomatization. For this purpose, I extracted the data from several sources. The corpus analysis to trace the development of phrasal verbs from 1650 to 1990 has been carried out in ARCHER 3.1 (A Representative Corpus of Historical English Registers), although many illustrative examples, especially those involving PDE combinations, have also been obtained from the BNC or the Internet. Recurrent use has also been made of several dictionaries of English, most notably the OED, as well as other dictionaries specialized in phrasal verbs and related structures.

File size: 7.20MB
File type: PDF

Download:
Hidden content
You need to react to this post in order to see this content.

Natrag